In October of 2021, a recall was issued on six different scents of “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones” sold by Walmart which were later discovered to contain a deadly bacteria. To date there have been at least 2 fatalities, several other confirmed infections. Over 3,900 bottles of the product were sold to consumers by Walmart. This product poses a serious risk to anyone who purchased it and/or has it in their possession. Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine are capable and experienced attorneys who can take Better Homes & Gardens Aromatherapy Room Spray lawsuits the full distance to a jury trial, if necessary. Contact us today for a free and confidential evaluation of your case.
Better Homes Gardens Recall
On October 22, 2021, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) issued a press release relating to a “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones” spray sold by Walmart at over 50 stores and online. In early October of 2021, a Georgia resident became ill with Whitmore’s Disease (also called Melioidosis), which is an infectious disease caused by a bacteria called pseudomonas pseudomallei. On October 6, 2021, a bottle of the aromatherapy spray from Better Homes & Gardens was discovered in his home, which subsequently tested positive for the presence of the deadly bacteria. Meanwhile, there were four other patients also suffering from the extremely rare Whitmore’s disease in other places across the country. A study revealed that the Better Homes & Gardens Room Aromatherapy Room Spray caused the outbreak of the otherwise rare Whitmore’s disease.
What is Whitmore’s Disease/Melioidosis?
Melioidosis is extremely rare in the United States. According to a report by the National Library of Medicine, there were only 34 cases in the United States between 2008-2013 and almost all of those were due to exposure from travel to areas where the bacteria pseudomonas pseudomallei can be found natively. Melioidosis can be found in tropical areas throughout the world, especially in southeast Asia and northern Australia. Pseudomonas pseudomallei can be found in soil and water in areas where it is native, and it can infect humans as well as animals. It is believed that infections can be acquired by ingestion of contaminated water, contaminated food, contact with contaminated soil, especially through skin abrasions, and even inhalation of contaminated dust or water droplets.
What are the symptoms of Whitmore’s Disease/Melioidosis?
Whitmore’s Disease has a wide range of signs and symptoms that can be mistaken for other diseases, which often make it difficult to diagnose. There are several types of infection caused by melioidosis, including: pulmonary infections, bloodstream infections, and disseminated and localized infections. The symptoms of the infection can appear as quickly as one day after the exposure, or the symptoms can be delayed, not appearing until many years after exposure. In general though, symptoms will appear two to four weeks after being exposed to pseudomonas pseudomallei. The symptoms across all of these types of infections are diverse and include, fever, localized pain, swelling, cough, chest pain, headache, respiratory distress, abdominal discomfort, joint pain, disorientation, seizures, and brain or central nervous system infection. The main treatment for Melioidosis is an antimicrobial drug therapy. Without treatment, the condition is fatal for 9 out of 10 people. Even with the proper treatment it has been shown that Melioidosis will be fatal for 4 out of 10 people.
Walmart’s Recall of the Better Homes & Gardens Aromatherapy Spray
After confirmation by the CDC of the spray that contained the deadly bacteria, Walmart issued a press release regarding the recall which lists the stores which sold the product locally. The press release confirmed that over 3,900 bottles of the aromatherapy room spray were sold. Walmart indicated they were attempting to contact the purchasers of these products to offer them a refund and a $20 gift card. The press release itself says nothing more than the products in six different scents contained “the possible presence of a rare and dangerous bacteria”.
If You Have Better Homes & Gardens Aromatherapy Room Spray In Your Home
According to the press release by the CDC, if you have this room spray in your home, you should do the following:
- Stop using this product immediately. Do not open the bottle. Do not throw away or dispose of the bottle in the regular trash.
- Double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top bags and place in a small cardboard box. Return the bagged and boxed product to a Walmart store.
- Wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer; bleach can be used if desired.
- Wipe down counters and surfaces that might have the spray on them with undiluted Pine-Sol or similar disinfectant.
- Limit how much you handle the spray bottle and wash hands thoroughly after touching the bottle or linens. If you used gloves, wash hands afterward.
- If you have used the product within the past 21 days and have fever or other melioidosis symptoms, seek medical care and tell your doctor you were exposed to the spray. If you do not have symptoms but were exposed to the product in the last 7 days, your doctor may recommend that you get antibiotics (post-exposure prophylaxis) to prevent infection.
Our Qualifications for Better Homes & Gardens Recall Lawsuits
These sprays pose a grave threat to anyone who is exposed to the spray and the bacteria in it. The means that allowed the product was able to get through the manufacturing process, onto store shelves, and into consumer’s homes will be the focus of lawsuits. Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, are already involved in litigation in this matter and is the premiere law firm to represent anyone who has been injured by a contaminated product or the families of anyone who has suffered a wrongful death by this negligence.
If you or a loved one has become infected with Melioidosis, also known as “Whitmore’s disease,” after purchasing the Better Homes & Gardens Aromatherapy Room Spray from Walmart, contact Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine for a free consultation and evaluation of your case. We are prepared to litigate your claim all the way to trial, pursuing both compensatory and punitive damages for product liability and negligence. Simply call us at (888) 488-9616 or contact us on our website to schedule a free and confidential consultation with a highly qualified trial attorney to discuss how we can help.