Social media use is so prevalent today that it is easy to forget the risk it presents – especially if you have been injured in an accident. Even a seemingly innocent picture or post may have a disastrous impact on your personal injury claim. Read on to learn more about the dangers of social media after a car accident and how to avoid them.
Using Social Media After a Car Accident: The Risk
It’s important to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. To build their case, the at-fault party’s insurance adjuster will likely scour social media to prove that you are not as injured as your claim. A photo of a fun event you attended, a check-in at a workout class, or a review of a new local activity can all be used against you. This evidence could weaken your personal injury case and may decrease the compensation you receive. Put simply, posting on social media is not worth the risk.
What Not To Do
Here at Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC, our trial lawyers recommend staying off social media altogether. But if you choose to use the platform, there are several key things to avoid.
- Do NOT post pictures or details about your accident or injuries.
- Do NOT provide updates about your recovery.
- Do NOT share old photos lacking a date stamp.
- Do NOT mention anything that occurred before your accident that could show that you were in an impaired mental state. (Example: an argument with your spouse, attendance at a holiday party, etc.)
- Do NOT forget that even private posts can be viewed by people you don’t know if they are shared or commented on by friends.
If you use social media after a car accident, taking these simple steps can help accident victims stay safe online:
- Wait to post anything until your personal injury claim is settled.
- Find a different outlet if you need to vent about your accident.
- Reject any friend requests from people you do not know well.
- Set your profile to the highest privacy setting available.
- Remove tags from friends’ photos.
- Use Facebook’s Privacy Checkup to see who viewed your profile
Recovered $32.5 Million Settlement Verdict – Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC Gets Results
If you find yourself or a loved one in need of a lawyer for the courtroom, call Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC to fight for you.
Never afraid of trial!
Our nationally recognized trial lawyers have earned incredible results on behalf of accident victims, and we have honed our courtroom approach over the years to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Our experienced trial lawyers are ready for the courtroom, equipped to handle every aspect of your personal injury lawsuit. We not only offer trusted legal representation, but the support you need as you travel the road to recovery. If you have been injured, schedule your free consultation today!
Our Case Results
Won $37 Million Truck Wreck Settlement Verdict
Won $32.5 Million Auto Defect Settlement Verdict
Won $15 Million Premises Liability Settlement Verdict
Our successful track record proves that experience gets results. Our trial lawyers have handled a wide variety of personal injury lawsuits, including the following:
Meet Your National Trial Lawyers
People Also Searched
- How to Handle a Personal Injury Trial | Easy Guide for Accident Victims
- How Much is Pain and Suffering Worth in a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
- How to Prove Fault in a Slip and Injury
- Dehydration and Malnutrition in Nursing Homes
- Camp Lejeune Contamination Updates
- Why Roads Are Becoming More Dangerous for Pedestrians | Lawyer Explains
- Which FDA Recalls Are the Most Serious? | Trial Lawyer Explains
Accepting Attorney Referrals
At Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC, our national trial lawyers have proven experience managing accident lawsuits from one state to the next. Millions in referral fees back up our reputation for success – and have earned our fellow attorneys’ trust.
With hundreds of millions of settlement verdicts, you can feel confident that your client is in the most capable hands.