Social media use is so prevalent today that it is easy to forget the risk it presents – especially if you have been injured in an accident. Even a seemingly innocent picture or post may have a disastrous impact on your personal injury claim. Read on to learn more about the dangers of social media after a car accident and how to avoid them.
Using Social Media After a Car Accident: The Risk
It’s important to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. To build their case, the at-fault party’s insurance adjuster will likely scour social media to prove that you are not as injured as your claim. A photo of a fun event you attended, a check-in at a workout class, or a review of a new local activity can all be used against you. This evidence could weaken your personal injury case and may decrease the compensation you receive. Put simply, posting on social media is not worth the risk.
What Not To Do
- Do NOT post pictures or details about your accident or injuries.
- Do NOT provide updates about your recovery.
- Do NOT share old photos lacking a date stamp.
- Do NOT mention anything that occurred before your accident that could show that you were in an impaired mental state. (Example: an argument with your spouse, attendance at a holiday party, etc.)
- Do NOT forget that even private posts can be viewed by people you don’t know if they are shared or commented on by friends.
If you use social media after a car accident, taking these simple steps can help accident victims stay safe online:
- Wait to post anything until your personal injury claim is settled.
- Find a different outlet if you need to vent about your accident.
- Reject any friend requests from people you do not know well.
- Set your profile to the highest privacy setting available.
- Remove tags from friends’ photos.
- Use Facebook’s Privacy Checkup to see who viewed your profile
Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC Gets Results!
If you have been injured, you need trusted legal counsel to handle your personal injury trial – now more than ever.
Our trial lawyers have tackled a wide variety of personal injury cases – and we are eager to put our extensive experience to work for you. Here at Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC, we never back down from a challenge. For trial lawyers ready to fight for you, get in touch today!
Our Case Results – VERDICTS
$25M Auto Defect Verdict (CA)
$15M Wrongful Death Verdict (AL)
$9M Medical Malpractice Verdict (AL)
$4.4M Toxic Exposure Verdict (OH)
Our Case Results – SETTLEMENTS
$16M Non-Fatal Drowning Settlement (GA)
$11M Negligent Security Settlement (NV)
$16M Trucking Settlement (TX)
We offer a successful track record in managing personal injury lawsuits like these:
Meet Your Personal Injury Lawyers
People Also Searched
- How Much is Pain and Suffering Worth in a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
- How to Prove Fault in a Slip and Injury
- Dehydration and Malnutrition in Nursing Homes
- Camp Lejeune Contamination Updates
- Why Roads Are Becoming More Dangerous for Pedestrians | Lawyer Explains
- Why You Should Never Post on Social Media After a Car Accident
- Which FDA Recalls Are the Most Serious? | Trial Lawyer Explains
Accepting Attorney Referrals
At Turnbull, Holcomb & LeMoine, PC, our national trial lawyers have proven experience managing accident lawsuits from one state to the next. Millions in referral fees back up our reputation for success – and have earned our fellow attorneys’ trust.
With hundreds of millions of settlements obtained and verdicts achieved, you can feel confident that your client is in the most capable hands.